Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Who's pouring the beer?

I was going through my Little Pink Notebook tonight, and I noticed something very bothersome. Many of the beers I tried had little to no information. Now hear me out before you judge. But I want to know who decided it was a good idea to hire models to pour beer at a Beerfest? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if the model actually works for the brewery or actually knows something about the beer they are pouring. But I'm not there for a live Budweiser commercial.

This weekend at The Big Pour, I was constantly given blank stares when I asked about the brewery which they were pouring for. Most of them didn't know anything about the beer period! It was so annoying and aggravating.

There were so many breweries that I was excite to try. I really wanted to talk to someone who could tell me about the beer they were serving. I was excited to try all the new beers. I wanted to know about the different styles they brewed and what was available in my area. I wanted to ask them about the hops and the malts. I wanted to know how they brewed and aged their beers. But I couldn't.

Instead, I was told "I don't know" or "I don't work for the company". It sucked. So I usually took my sample, made a few notes, and moved on to the next table looking for a little beer conversation. Luckily, I was able to find it.

So a word to you, the distributors and breweries. Do yourself a favor. Use educated people to pour your beer. Most people who are willing to fork over $30 or more to try some quality beer aren't there for a Miller Light. They like beer, and they want to know about it. If they wanted some pretty girl to give them beer, they would head down to the local bar and have the girls sell them buckets of cheap, mass produced beer with hopes of winning a free koosie.

-Cheers

No comments: