Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Monks make good beer

I am on a roll tonight, or a binge. Whatever. I am full of beer and opinions, so I am going to share them with you. And since the last aged beer was so good, I just opened another. What is the lucky beer this time?

Orval Trappist Ale.

I have mentioned before that I am not a big fan of Belgium ales. I really prefer the malt or hops flavors over the sweet ones any day. But in my lust for different beer, I made my way through the Trappist styles ales a year or so ago.

This Orval was one of the last in my fridge. I bought it after a recommendation from my friend Zane Lamprey of Three Sheets. (I miss that show). After Zane talked so highly of the Monks and their beer making abilities, I decided to make my own opinion. I was sadly disappointed.

The smack of citrus and sweetness was something I was not prepared for. I shy away from Heffes, and this was way beyond that. This isn’t the way beer is supposed to taste. It was closer to a Raddler than a beer. And I really don’t like Raddlers.

So the remaining beers sat in my fridge, until tonight.

It really is amazing how time can change the flavor of a beer. I will tell you that I am actually enjoying it this time. The flavor has mellowed a bit. That pungent taste has become enjoyable. The citrus flavor has become mild. Yet the overall flavor has improved. I would call this a great dessert beer.

Now, Trappist Ales are not for everyone. I would normally count myself in that group. But with a little time, and an open pallet, I think that you might enjoy this beer on the right occasion.

The Results:

Did I like it? I guess so.

Was it good? Yes.

Would I recommend it? Sometimes.

-'Op uw gezondheid'

No comments: