Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Beercation - part 2

So, where was I? O, back on the boat. Key West was awesome! I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It is packed with bars, and some descent beers. But I couldn't stay there and hope they picked me up on the way home. So I had to get back on the boat. At least I did it with a great buzz

Beer 21-25 - Samuel Adams. I enjoy drinking with my friend. And Sam has never done me wrong. In fact, I am picking up a keg of his Oktoberfest tomorrow. Sam was there for me when I needed him. And thanks to Renata, I was never without.

Beer 26 - Cay Brew. The Sharkbite Brewery is located in Grand Cayman. This is the place I wanted to go. And I'm happy I did. It's a cool place, right on the beach. They brew a few different beers, and a nice Rum which the bartender was nice to give me, on the house. So I started with the only beer they had on tap, Cay Brew. From my notes. "Typical Lager". "Great session beer while on a beach, so I love it". It is brewed on the island, and brought to the bar. However, their facility is only big enough to brew beer, or distill rum. But not both at the same time. The cool thing about their rum is that "it is aged in Jack Daniels barrels under the ocean". It is their thought that the constant subtle movement of the barrels under the water enhance the flavor of their rum. I'm not sure if it does or not, but I enjoyed it. Grade: 3 1/2 burps.

Beer 27 - Cay Light. Ok, before you judge me for drinking a "Light Beer", hear me out. I was on a "Beercation". Attempting to try as many beers as possible. Cay Light was all they had on Tap. The only other beer they had available was their Cay Light, in a bottle. So I tried it. From my notes. "Actually a good light beer". I don't drink light beer, so I am far from a qualified judge on it. But for a lighter style beer, it was ok. Grade: 3 burps

Beer 28 - Cay Brew. I enjoyed it the first time, and I wanted to enjoy it again.

From Hammerhead's, I headed back towards the dock. It was getting late. But I had time for at least 1 more beer. So I stopped at one of the tourist type bars, Senior Frogs. The only thing I could find on their beer list that I had yet to try was beer 29.

Beer 29 - Presidente Light. From my notes. "I don't enjoy it". "It is a super light lager made by Miller Brewing Co.". "If I knew that, ,"I wouldn't have ordered it". "Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between Presidente Light, and a Dos Equis. Grade - 2 burps

The day was running out, and it was time to get back on the boat. I was feeling good, really good. Did I mention that I took a tour of the Tortuga Rum factory. I didn't? How could I forget? It must have been all the rums, because they give you free shots! Sure, they are smaller than a regular shot, but if you get 2, or 9 like I had, it is as good as 4 or 5. Damn it is good rum. I bought 7 bottles. Yes, 7. Some smaller than others. But flavored rums like Banana, Vanilla, Coffee, Orange, Spiced 12 year old Gold, Liqueur, and Coconut are worth the $9 a bottle. Isn't that nuts, $9 for a big bottle of rum? Who cares, it was worth double that!

Back on the boat, we went to dinner and called it an early night. I was done drinking. But tomorrow was another day it was going to be a day in Jamaica!

-Cheers!

No comments: