Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

A new Beer a day, keeps the bordom away

I have a hard time making a decision. I still need to replace the empty Flying Dog keg in my kegerator. But I just can't bring myself to make up my mind. I feel guilty for not replacing it with another keg from Flying Dog. So I am just going to take my time and try as many different beers as I can before I make the final decision. It will give me the chance to try some of the beers I keep finding.

Here is what I have gone through the past week.

1. Port Brewing - Old Viscosity Ale.
This is a hearty ale "aged in oak barrels". Man, is it good. It has a great malt and coffee taste. The oak barrel aging gives it a very smooth flavor. It as a hint of caramel, and a smooth aftertaste. I think I am going to be a big fan of barrel aging. I am drinking it right now as type. However, as much as I like it, I don't think I would enjoy it on a daily basis. My favorite beer depends on the day. And I don't think it would be a good idea to get an entire keg of this. Besides, I don't think it is even available.

2. Breckenridge Brewery -471 ESB (Extra Special Bitter)
I have a soft spot in my heart for ESB (Fuller's). Hard to believe, but this was my first beer from Breckenridge Brewery. And I really did enjoy it. There was a stronger taste of hops than I would have expected from a traditional ESB. But it balanced out well with the malt, to form a truly even taste. I did sense a bit of an alcohol, but nothing distracting. I did enjoy it enough to buy another two bottles. One to drink, and one to age. And I think I am going to buy a bottle of Breckenridge's other 471 series batches. The 471 IPA. How can it not be good?

3. Flying Dog - Snake Dog IPA
Is it possible for me to say anything but good about Flying Dog? No, it isn't. This is a great beer from a cool brewery. I LOVED it! And I will buy more. Hops is the new Black, and I am on board. A good IPA is something everyone tries to create. But to do it well, that takes a special brewery. And Flying Dog is the brewery who can do it. They just get it. I don't know how, but I think they should bottle it, and sell it. I know I would buy it!

4. New Belgium Brewery - Mighty Arrow Pale Ale
I first tried this at Beerfest. And I did like it. But I found it on tap at a sports bar last week, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time around. In fact, I veered from my traditional "around the world" routine, and had nothing but Mighty Arrow for the evening. I enjoyed it so much, that I went out and bought a six-pack of it for home. One of them is going to be traded to a friend of mine on the east coast. So that leaves me 5, I mean 3, for the next week.
New Belgium is a cool brewery. I mean, who wouldn't want a custom bicycle to ride to work? If I could, I would work for them. Aside from making great beer, they are a brewery on the cutting edge of Green. I love this brewery. I love their beer, and everything they stand for. And if there is anyone out there who knows how I can get one of those bicycles, please, let me know.

This about covers last week. I made a trip to the beer stores this weekend. I have a great sampling of beers to review this week. Don't get me wrong. A kegerator is a great thing. But nothing compares to a new beer every day.

-Prost!

No comments: