Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Good news, my liver is OK

I had to go to the Doctor on Friday. Don't worry, I'm fine. Just a routine check up for some of the meds I take. No big deal.

The cool thing about my Doc, he likes beer. We usually spend a good 5 or 10 minutes talking about beer. What we have tried, where the best places in town to go drink beer, and about my blog. This Doc is so cool because his uncle is one of the Widmer Brothers.

Anyways, he was asking me about my typical week of "beer testing". I tried to explain to him that I was currently on a fast (which I broke tonight) due to a stupid bet I made with my friend. I told him that I usually only have 1 or 2 on the weekends since January. I was trying to cut back. Hey, we all hold back when we talk to our doctors, unless it means we are getting better meds if the pain is worse.

He asked me this zinger, "How many times have you been drunk in the past year?"

Hmmmm, I had to stop and think about that one. His definition of "drunk" and my definition of "drunk" are probably quite different. Besides, I have been training for a long time, and it takes me quite a while to get to a condition where I would consider myself drunk.

So I counted. The last time was after the 30 something samples at the last beer fest. That makes 1. This summer, when every one threw up in my front yard, I was hurting pretty good that night as well. Lets say that is 2. What was Friday, and when would the cut off be? I don't know, the pressure was getting to me. So I blurted out 3.

You know what his response was? "Three, that is close to pushing it." Really? Only 3 times a year is pushing it? Who knew. Then in a nearly passing manner, he asked me about my liver. I said it was fine. Then he told me to lay down, and said "No, I want to check your liver."

What? Really? I'm not even 40 yet, and I consider myself to be in descent shape. I lost 5 pounds last week. Do you really need to check my liver? "Yes."

He proceeded to push really hard around the area for a minute or so. What was he checking for? I have no idea. But I do know this, my liver is A.O.K! Awesome!

Then he asked my where I was planning on going for vacation this year. I told him Amsterdam, Belgium, Germany, and Copenhagen. "Are you going to Oktoberfest" he asked excitedly. I told him no, not this year. "It starts on the 18th right?" Honestly, I didn't know for sure, but my Doctor did. Isn't that awesome!

I left the office with a bag full of goodies, and a smile on my face. My liver was good. So what is today, February 15th? I guess I can only get drunk 2 more times this year because I celebrated Friday night!

-Cheers!

No comments: