Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Is it ok to drink cheap beer, if it is free?

I have mass quantities of beer in my house. That is a normal thing. However, I seem to have amassed even more. After the party last weekend, I keep finding bottles of beer in my fridge, that I didn't buy. How do I know? Because it is beer I wouldn't buy, anymore.

As a "Beer Snob", my craving for new beer is never ending. There is always a new beer on the shelf to buy. A new beer in my fridge to drink. A different beer to write about. However, this is not the case.

My fridge is full of beer that a "newbie" beer drinker would buy in an attempt to move up the Beer Snob ladder. Beers that are to the right of all the Bud, Coors, and Miller dominated shelf space. Beers like Becks, Smithwick's, Guinness, Moose Drool, Samuel Adams, Pyramid, Alaskan, etc.

They knew better than to show up with anything other than something that would qualify as an import, or microbrew. For most of them, this wasn't their first time to one of my parties. For the others, lets just say that they were warned.

I need to clear off some shelf space for the new seasonals. But how can I do that? The only thing I can think of is, drink the beer. Is that wrong? Am I going against everything I believe in? AB owns a few of these breweries now, but I didn't buy it. But is it wrong to drink it? I don't know. I am torn. So far, I have downed the Moose Drool, Sam Adams, Smithwick's, and Alaskan. What do I do with the Becks, St. Paulie, Stella Artois, and Blue Moon. Do I dump them, save them for the next bash, or drink them?

There are a few Dogfish Head left from IV. But don't worry, I am going to enjoy those. In fact, I think I am going to crack one open right now. It might help me make up my mind. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

-Cheers!

2 comments:

Seawolf said...

I would dump 'em. If you fill your glass or stomach with those "suds", you're not drinking a good beer and to me that's taking away from the little guy.

just my two cents.

Zach

Brian P said...

If you have the space keep a few for friends who stop by who aren't into craft beer. I learned long ago you just can't convert everyone. Just because they enjoy a Blue Moon or a Smithwicks doesn't make them bad people. They're simply not craft beer people. At least they have better taste than someone who only tosses back Miller Lite, Coors or Bud. Just think, once they finish that Blue Moon you might even get the chance to have them graduate to a far better brew.