Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

I missed my chance

Are you ready for this? Sam Calagione, the man himself, was in town yesterday, and I didn't know about it. By the time I heard about, it was too late. O, the Horror! I have been dying to meet my hero Sam, and I just missed my chance. He was kind enough to fly all the way across the country to my home town, and I didn't even know it. How could this have happened?

Here is the deal. My dad tells me last night at my son's baseball game, "Hey, some brewery guy is in town signing his book". What? How did I not head about this? Honestly, I am not up to date with Authors signing their books. I am not that kind of guy. But if it is a Beer Guy, I need to know about it. I should have known about it.

I racked my brain, and went down the list of the possible brew guys it might have been.
Me: "Charlie Papazian"?
Dad: "No, that's not it".
Me: "Jim Koch"?
Dad: "That Sam Adams guy? No, that isn't it".
- Who could it be? Who might have been in town promoting a book?
Me: "O, Garrett Oliver from Brooklyn Brewery?
Dad: "Never heard of him".
Me: "It wasn't Fritz Maytag was it?
Dad: "I don't think that was it". "It was something about brewing a business".
Me: "WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS? SAM CALAGIONE from DOGFISH HEAD"?
Dad: "Yeah, that's it"

O my God. How did this just happen? All these thoughts ran through my head. I can leave, buy a paper, find out where he is, and go. Or I can call everyone I know, have them find the article i their paper, and tell me what the article said. This is exactly what I did.

By the time my cousin called me back, it was too late. Sam held a 2 hour event to talk about his book, and his beer. And I missed it. By the time My cousin read me the details, the event was over. I wanted to cry. Yes, I am man enough to tell you that I really wanted to cry. How, after all this time of waiting, and reading, and talking to people about my "Man Crush" on Sam Calagione, did I miss my probable, once in a lifetime, opportunity to meet him in my one home town. It's a tragedy.

But all hope is not lost. I found out that Sam is still in town, through Sunday. Has my luck changed? You see, Sam is in town for his annual Bocce Ball tournament. It's the "Dogfish Head Intergalactic Bocce Tournament, Western Version".

This part is my fault. I have been trying to put together a team for 2 years now. But I have cheap friends. And none of them have the cash to play. But I try, and try, and try to put together a team. But I have struck out every time.

I also look at the website all the time to find out if Sam is going to be in a town where I just so happen to be visiting. And I kept checking the Dogfish Head website, looking for information about the Bocce ball tournament. But I never found it. And I guess, I just got a little too lazy, and I missed out on the giant post about it on their website. How could I have let this happen? I don't know, but I did.

I spent the better part of the day trying to contact anyone at the hotel who might be able to let me know about the details. But all I got was the head chef, concierge, or a receptionist. None of which were able to help me.

So I am stuck watching from the sidelines this year. That is the price I have to pay. I get it. But next year, I am there.

So right here, right now, I am putting it out there. Who wants to join my team? Who wants to play Bocce Ball next year?

-Prost. (gotta say it, but I don't mean it tonight)

No comments: