Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Pride of London

Have you ever had something that reminded you of a better time or a better place? I have that something just about every week. You might say it takes me to one of my "happy places". What could it be that has such a powerful force on my psyche? It's called "Fuller's London Pride". She was my first.

Every time I pour myself a pint, it takes me back the dark wooden booths of the London pubs where I first had one. Upon arriving in London, my first stop was a little pub in the Paddington neighborhood. I went up to the bar and asked for a beer that was brewed in London. After a funny look from the bartender, he poured me a pint. It was a Fuller's ale. This was a defining moment in my life. As I sat and savored the wonderful caramel tinted ale, I realized what I had been missing all these years. Beer wasn't meant to be served 1 degree above freezing. It wasn't meant to be drunk out of a bottle or a can. Beer was meant to be enjoyed like that moment. It was brewed with love to bring pure pleasure to the sence of taste.

In the states, lager is the norm. Bud, Miller, Coors, (all of which I avoid as much as possible) are all to common. I have never considered myself to be normal, so they are not for me. Anyways, ale is more common in the U.K. To drink a traditional English Ale (although a corporate version) such as Fuller's in London was quite the religious experience.

I will admit that Fuller's wasn't the best ale I had in London, or even my favorite today at home. The local brewed ales in the U.K. are far superior. But it was my first, and you never forget your first. Fuller's is a little difficult to find. However if you are so lucky to find it, buy it. I promise, you will enjoy it. Cheers.

No comments: