Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2008

People are cheap

So I am trying to sell a car. It is a great car in great shape. I know what it is worth and I know what I want to get for it. So why is it that I get all these calls and emails asking me to let them have it for thousands ($5,000-$7,000) less than what I am asking for it? Why, because people are cheap.

When I was a kid looking for a car, i scoured the auto trader looking for the fastest car possible at the cheapest price. I must have called 20 different adds before my dad would finally let us go look at one. As luck would have it, we bought it.

What a sweet car it was. As far as I was concerned, it ran (continue reading) and it was my first car. It wasn't exactly fast, but it was cool. It was a 1951 Chevy pickup. We drove all the way across town so it took a lot for my dad to take me. They were asking $1200 for it. I could hardly stand the anticipation of actually owning my own car. Man, that was a long drive.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was mine. After a little bit of negotiating, we bought it for $1000. Wow, what a deal. We stole it for $200 less than what he wanted! That deal was a great deal until it broke down on the way home. That $200 we saved was used to tow it the 35 miles home. Either way , it was mine.

So what happened to that time? A time when getting a deal meant saving a few hundred bucks. That few hundred bucks then has turned into a few THOUSAND bucks today! What the hell?

I get it. Times are hard. Gas is $4.00 a gallon. People don't have any money because they lost their job. Just because your house is worth $100 grand less than you paid for it last year, doesn't mean I am going to let you have my car to make up the difference. But why are they the one calling me? Why are they calling to buy a car they can't afford to begin with? Why? Because people are cheap? No, because people are dumb!

No comments: