Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Around the World

On Fridy or Saturday nights, I like to do this thing I call "Going around the World". It's where I try a bunch of different beers from around the world and tell people on Facebook and Twitter what I'm drinking. I hope by mentioning what I'm drinking, the masses will find the urge to go out and give them a try. Does it work? I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

Tonight is one of those nights. I have a plethora of different beers to try tonight. Most were sent to me by my friend Brian at I am Beer Wise. He was cool enough to send me some really great beers that I can't get. I felt bad sending him sending him just New Belgium and a bunch of local brews. But he was happy and in the end, that is all that matters.

So what am I drinking? I'll tell you. Barley Wine is the theme of the night. Lets talk about them shall we?

Brookly Brewery - Monster Ale. This is a beer I really like. When we made the beer trade, Brooklyn Brewery was the only brewery that I requested he send to me. I can't get it in Arizona. I would have been happy with anything he sent me, but a barley wine moved him into my inner circle. I'm really enjoying this. It says 12 Fl. oz and 10.1 abv. That sounds like a good time. Trust me, it is. But you would never know it. There is zero taste of alcohol like some other barleywines. It has a great taste and a smooth mouth feel. If you were a rookie, you could drink 2 or 3 of these before you realized you were in trouble. It leans against the malt side of the fence so I am enjoying it. Of all the beers Brian sent me, this is one of my favorites so far. Grade - 4 Burps

Samuel Adams - Mile High Barley Wine Ale. This is one of the American Homebrew contest winners. Ben Miller from New Mexico knows how to make an award winning beer. I have had the other beers from this years Longshot competition, and this is my favorite. Like the Brooklyn Brewery offering, there isn't that harsh alcohol taste some barleywines have. It hides it well with the roasted malt. Sorry to tell you Ben, but I enjoy the Brooklyn Brewery offering more. But you still make a good beer. Good job. Grade - 3 Burps

I have a few more to tey before the night is over, so I have to run.

-Cheers

No comments: